Founder and Senior Partner
Rupert’s career began in 1994 when he specialised as a legal advisor in the music industry of London’s renowned Carnaby Street. He has been providing legal and business advice in the entertainment industry and broader commercial arena ever since. Rupert founded Rohan Solicitors LLP (previously Rohan & Co Solicitors) with his father in 1998.
He now works with a wide range of clients from individuals and start-up businesses to PLCs who seek his expertise in new technology, online consumer business, media and retail.
A high level summary of the types of transactions Rupert has covered in recent times include (but are not limited to):
- Legal and commercial advice to technology start-ups including advising on corporate structures and drafting of Articles of Association, Shareholders Agreements, Investment Agreements, Service Agreements and associated ancillary documentation;
- All legal matters associated with the sale and acquisition of multi-million pound companies including acting for both investors and multi-party sellers;
- Dealing with all legal aspects associated with inbound investment ranging from angel investors to venture capital funds;
- Preparation and drafting of commercial agreements for innovative and mainstream businesses including both B2B and B2C contracts;
- Advising established businesses on internal documentation including undertaking reviews and improvements to Articles of Association, Shareholder Agreements and Service Agreements;
- Representation of a broad spectrum of media and entertainment industry clients across a variety of sectors;
- Advising on the sale and purchase of a broad range of businesses with particular expertise in dental practices, restaurant chains and security businesses;
- Advising on and preparation of submissions to HMRC in respect of SEIS and EIS advance assurance applications and managing SEIS / EIS compliance;
- Preparation and drafting of all aspects of employment documentation including directors service agreements, employee handbooks, employment policies and option agreements;
- Advising on and drafting of terms and conditions for on-line and off line businesses;
- Dealing with all aspects of intellectual property rights including registration, protection and enforcement of such rights;
- Advising on GDPR compliance including drafting of applicable policies;
- Sale, acquisition and leasing of all types of commercial property from offices to warehouses.
With many years of experience in the commercial environment Rupert has become far more than a legal advisor; he is able to take a commercial view and this is valued by his clients when practical solutions have to be found to resolve potential problems or overcome challenges.
He acts as a manager, legal representative and business advisor for professionals and businesses including the world famous ballet dancer Carlos Acosta.
Rupert works extensively with private clients in the areas of trust planning and management, wills, probate, powers of attorney, and tax planning. It is testament to their satisfaction that he repeatedly works with clients and their families through the generations.
Rupert is also a trustee of a number of charitable organisations.